Hair loss, medically known as alopecia, is the thinning of the hair. This is the reduction in the mass of hair in a particular part of the body.
We shall consider the head, as a part of the body, in the female aspect. The first fact I will like to state is that alopecia is not in any way contagious, neither is it an effect of ageing but in some cases, it is hereditary. Androgenetic alopecia, genetically-caused hair loss (hereditary alopecia) cannot really be prevented because it has been programmed and the gene cannot be reversed. The same thing goes for hair loss that is due to factors we cannot control like severe stress, illness and pollution.
Hair loss in women has a wide range of causes, we cannot discuss all but we shall be very explicit in touching as many areas as possible. Hair loss in women can arise, apart from the causes stated above, as an effect of factors under two major categories; diet and medication. The causes and prevention of hair loss are fused in the content below.
DIET – PREVENTING HAIR LOSS IN WOMEN BY DIET
A healthy diet results in a healthy hair. Taking a diet constituted of fruits and vegetables that contain essential nutrients for a healthy hair can go a long way in preventing hair loss in women. In this aspect, the following nutrients should be taken into consideration.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps in the production of collagen which strengthens the capillaries that supply the hair shafts. Inadequate consumption of Vitamin C reinforces disruption in the supply of blood to the hair shafts as the capillaries will be weak due to the lack of collagen. This will make the roots of the hair weak and the hair will begin to fall out. Sources of Vitamin C in reliable proportion include citrus fruit, kale, broccoli, baked potatoes, tomatoes and berries of all kinds.
- Iron: Iron should be consumed in enough quantities because too little iron in the body can lead to anemia which leads to the disturbance in the supply of nutrients to the hair follicles, and this plays a larger role in the genesis of hair loss. Reliable sources of iron are red meat, chicken, fish,en vegetables and biscuit bones.
- Protein: This nutrient gives amino acids, a substance that strengthens the hair. Lack of adequate protein paves way to dry and weak hair follicles which leads to hair loss. Though protein is included in shampoos, it is the protein from your diet that will boost the state of your hair when taken in adequate quantity. Protein is included in foods like poultry milk, eggs, sea-food, beans, soy, ein bars, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, brown rice and broccoli.
- Biotin: Biotin is a B vitamin that is water soluble. Deficiency of this nutrient can cause the hair to become brittle which can result in hair loss as a brittle hair is easily detached from the hair root. We can get biotin in adequate quantity from whole grains, liver, egg white, soy flour, walnut and yeast.
MEDICATION – PREVENTING HAIR LOSS IN WOMEN
Though, medications keep the hair in nice conditions, the frequency of the application of these medications matters a lot if you still want to have the hair you apply these medications.
To avoid the damage of your hair, digest these tips:
- Hair Washing: The hair should be washed with mid shampoo and should not be washed every day because of the potential, which shampoos have, of stripping the hair of its natural oil. To make a better plan, aim for the washing of your hair with a two-day interval.
- Hair Drying: Hair dryers emit a range of heat that weakens the hair protein and this can lead to brittleness and fragility of the hair. To prevent hair loss, drying the hair naturally is best for the hair. You should also avoid devices like hair straighteners, hot curlers and hot brushes due to the heat they infuse into the hair.
- Hair Brushing: A soft brush made from natural fibers is required for a healthy hair. Hard brushes are capable of detaching the hair from its roots. The hair should also be brushed from the underside out and it should not be brushed when it is damp or wet, a comb should be used.
- Hair Dyeing: A serious damage is inflicted on the hair when coloring chemicals are used frequently. Your hair will thank you a million times if you let it remain grey than you applying consecutive doses of dyes.
- Hair Tightening: Tight hairstyles pave way for hair loss if they are done regularly. When the hair is winded tightly onto rollers, especially heated rollers, the hair is at a greater risk of getting lost. You can prevent this by completely avoiding the regular do of tight hairstyles.
- Hair Perming: Perming chemicals work by separating the inner shafts of the hair and arranging them in a different way to straighten or curl them. This act makes the hair weak, dull and brittle which may ultimately lead to hair loss. Cut down on your use of perms.
- Hair Bleaching: Bleaching removes the natural pigment of the hair when the hair cuticles are penetrated by the chemicals. It reforms the structure of the hair and it makes the hair weaker. To prevent alopecia, do not bleach at all.
In conclusion, most times women love bleaching coupled with blow drying before dyeing and styling the hair without knowing the great damage that they have done to the hair with the series of damaging effects they have applied to the hair. We guarantee that you take good care of your scalp to have a healthy hair. To breed a good plant, you need a good soil and to erect a good structure, you need a good foundation. These parts of the soil and the foundation are played by the scalp. This emboldens the reason why you need to massage your scalp on daily basis in order to improve the circulation of blood to the hair follicles so as to have a nice and healthy hair.